Sunday, June 29, 2008

Still reading

He said, "I've only got seventy five years on this earth at best. I want to use them to give someone the Bible". But he didn't get those 75 years. He went to heaven, shot by a terrorist gun before he turned 30. I just finished reading Called to Die by Steve Estes. I couldn't put it down till I finished it. The epilogue says, "The goal of Chet Bitterman's life was to broadcast the good news of Jesus Christ...He reached his goal. Frustrated in his attempt to translate the Bible into Carijona, he preached instead to his captors. And through his capture and death the Christian gospel was proclaimed and lived out before Colombia's millions." It says a lot more than that, but you'll just have to read it for yourself!

I also read Victory by Susan Cooper the other day! Yes, I do other things besides read, but reading's my favorite! Victory, actually a young people's book (well, I'm young!!), tells of Sam Robbins, a farm boy kidnapped and forced to serve aboard HMS Victory, Lord Nelson's ship at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805. It also tells the story of Molly Jennings, a modern-day English girl and her battle against loss and loneliness. You'll have to read it to see how Sam and Molly connect! Fascinating!

No comments: