Saturday, September 13, 2008

Fun and interesting

I bet you haven't seen this scene in the U.S. of A. very often - if at all! Notice what it is? Look carefully! Yes, it's a bunch of handicapped shopping carts parked in the Handicap parking spot! Where else would you park them?? I bet my fav store would sue me if they saw this photo, but I won't tell them if you won't!

Yesterday I went to Mexico City to visit Carmen and Felix and to go see Velva, a niece of Carmen's, who's in the hospital. Before heading for the hospital, Carmen served one of my favorite meals - chiles rellenos (stuffed poblano peppers), rice, beans and tortillas. Here's what my plate looked like - BEFORE I attacked it! Yes, it was delicious! And she sent some home with me to enjoy later! The normal bus ride in is 2 hours - yesterday it was was 3. Today the bus station was jam packed because it's a holiday weekend (what was I THINKING??) so when I arrived at 10:30, the first bus available to San Juan was at 1:15! But it was delayed, as were ALL the buses, and we finally left at 2. Have you ever been at the airport when planes were delayed? People get pretty ugly, don't they? Well, it's no different at a bus station!

Eliud (Eli) on the left, is Velva's mom. Carmen is on the right. Here we are at the hospital waiting our turn to go up and see Velva. No, this isn't the "waiting room", this is the "waiting sidewalk." The place was packed with people waiting, waiting. Only those with passes can even ENTER the door of the hospital, and then only one visitor at a time! Not having visited a lot of hospitals here in Mexico, I was shocked at the conditions. But Eli assured me that not all hospitals are like this! The only reason Velva is here is because her work place pays for it - she would have chosen a different, nicer hospital. But, she's recovering from a liver infection, praise God. The doctor gave her two weeks to live, but I think God has another plan! I think too that the doctor is glad He has another plan!

These two little girls were waiting, first with one parent and then the other as they were visiting someone. They were so cute, I just had to snap a picture!

1 comment:

Lily said...

The shopping carts are too funny! And those little girls are so adorable! Interesting blog! Keep up the good work!