Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The Disputed Territory


Bob and Anna Atwood were missionaries to the Miskiito Indians in Costa Rica for about 17 years. She wrote a book, The Disputed Territory, about their adventures - and they definitely were adventures! As I read, I just thanked the Lord again and again for sending me to the CITY!! This illustrates how far "out there" they were! "It was also during our time in Kaurkira that one day Herman Haylock, an aslander who had a Miskito woman called to us as we walked past his house. 'Do you people know that your country is at war? ' There followed an account of Pearl Harbor and how our national had been at war for three months already. We had received no mail during this time, nor did we have a radio." 



As I read, I felt like I was sitting in my living room (which, actually I WAS doing!) just listening to Anna talk with me! Ken and I got to know them in Philadelphia, if I remember right, a very long time ago, when we were raising support. They were an amazing couple! After serving in Costa Rica, they served as itinerant ministers traveling all over Central America. And here's how they dressed!! Aren't they great!!??



She didn't make herself out to be perfect either! Here's another story:

"Were were invited into the only house that had a board floor. Bob took one look at my crumbled aspect (she had been riding an ornery mule all day!) and hastily hung up the hammock for me. When I dropped into it, I decided that I would not move for another night and a day. But I knew the inevitable would happen. I heard the women by the fire, stirring their wabul, green banana soup made with coconut milk. They would soon offer me a huge calabash full of the beverage and I would have to drink it.
   I groaned and opened my eyes just as a Miskito woman advanced in my direction with the unmistakable sign of hospitality in her hands. I glanced warily at the gourd. Always I could envision millions of TB germs on the rim of the gourd where I sipped. My eyes wandered to my husband and found him looking beseechingly at me as though to say, 'Please don't offend them. They are being kind.'
   I took the calabash and thanked her, but even to me my voice sounded boorish. I thanked the Lord for the drink and took a swallow. Strangely enough it tasted delicious. In fact, I drained the contents and handed back the empty gourd."

You won't find this book on Amazon, sorry! Camino Global home office may have some copies, I'm not sure! You could borrow it from me, but I'm in Mexico! Anyway, if you ARE interested, we could find a way to get your a copy!

Happy reading!
 

No comments: