Friday, May 4, 2012

Handyman Blues




My friends and colleagues and team members Paul and Grace and leaving Mexico, heading back to Illinois to be near their children and grands. So, of course they´re giving away lots of great STUFF! I picked up a couple books from their shelf and have especially enjoyed Front Porch Tales by Paul Gulley. Every chapter is full of laughter and fun. The author is pastor of a Quaker meeting and I´m sure he keeps his congregation in stitches every Sunday! He certainly had me laughing.

I know I´m in danger of being accused of plagiarism, but I´m going to quote verbatim (at least I´m admitting it!) one of the chapters in his book: The Handyman´s Blues. Reminds me of something, but I can´t quite decide what, something in my past, or......when was it?? Every chapter is almost as funny as this one, some more so than others!


When we had our first child, everyone said we’d have to build on. Our house had three bedrooms and a good-sized living room, so I couldn’t figure out why we needed more room. Plus, in Russia they cram twenty people into a two-room apartment. Then our son turned two, and I learned what every parent knows. The extra space isn’t for the kids, it’s for the parents.
            We decided to convert our basement into living space. Called in a contractor for an estimate. Made sure to tell him about needing access to the pipes, because every now and then a big gob of potato peels jams the garbage disposal, so I have to go down to the basement, open up the pipe, and ram a clothes hanger through to loosen things up.
            First, we had to get the basement dry. Lately, it’s been getting wet every time it rains. I figured the drainage tile coming off the rain gutters was clogged with roots from our maple tree, which I will cut down just as soon as I get my chain saw fixed. (I broke it trying to cut some bricks.) Turned out it wasn’t roots. It was a squirrel that had fallen in the down spout and got stuck. Basically, what I had was a squirrel cork. I rented a plumber’s snake – twenty-five feet of cable with a slicer/dicer on the end, and now my basement is Sahara dry.
            Before they drywalled the basement, I was told I’d have to clean the mildew off the walls. This was something I didn’t understand. I was drywalling to hide the mildew, so first I had to clean the mildew? Why bother drywalling?
            I forgot to tell the contractor that sometimes the dirty water from the washing machine backs up through the floor drain. But I stuck a wad of duct tape in the drain and took care of that little problem.
            I have a friend who took a class in home maintenance. His house is perfect. When he needs a screwdriver, he goes right to his workshop and gets it. When I need a screwdriver, I head to the kitchen for a butter knife. I hate it when he comes to my house. He says things like, “I’m not trying to alarm you, but the electrical outlets probably shouldn’t throw out flames when you turn on a lamp.”
            I have another friend who hires everything done. He’s a man who’s made his peace with his ineptitude. Not me. I come from the school of rugged individualists. I figure Daniel Boone never called a plumber.
            Sometimes my three-year-old wants to help with household repairs. Once we fixed a leaky faucet together. I forgot to turn off the water before I started, and a geyser hit the kitchen ceiling. The next time we fixed a faucet, he put on his raincoat. Quick learner, my son.
            Tradition has it that Jesus was a carpenter. That means he went into people’s homes to fix things. You’ll note he found another line of work pretty quickly. Wise man, our Savior.




3 comments:

dbecker said...

I love it! Made me laugh. Sounds dangerously close to some "fixing" done around here. In all honesty, our dryer is being held closed with tape until the repairman can see his way clear to get over here! He'd better hurry before the washer needs another repair, too! :)
I have been told by more than one repairman that I use my washer/dryer too much! Isn't that what they are for? Just sayin'.

dbecker said...

This made me laugh! Sounds frightfully close to some of our "fixes" around here!
Right now, our dryer is being held closed with tape (front loader) as the latch is broken. It will be like that until the repairman can see his way to get here! He'd better hurry before the washer needs another repair!
I have been told by my repairman that I use my washer and dryer too much. Hmm, isn't that why I have them? Maybe having a medium large family and many guests can "excuse" the usage?
Thanks for sharing...I will have to look into checking this book out at the library when we get to the US this summer!

dbecker said...

I love it! Made me laugh. Sounds dangerously close to some "fixing" done around here. In all honesty, our dryer is being held closed with tape until the repairman can see his way clear to get over here! He'd better hurry before the washer needs another repair, too! :)
I have been told by more than one repairman that I use my washer/dryer too much! Isn't that what they are for? Just sayin'.