Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Roca de la eternidad

This morning I was going to put a silly little poem up about a turtle, but then I found something that brought back so many wonderful memories of my childhood....I grew up in Mexico City. When I was young, we as a family would gather around the piano early in the morning to sing and read the Bible. A hymn that was invariably chosen by our Mexican sisters who lived with us was Roca de la eternidad, Rock of Ages. Some of you are probably too young to remember such an OLD hymn, but it would do you good to look it up and learn it! It's beautiful! So, we would sing:

Roca de la eternidad,
fuiste abierta para mi,
Se mi escondedero fiel,
solo encuentro paz en ti,
Rico, limpio manantial,
en el cual lavado fui.

I don't recall ever singing it in English, in deference to our Mexican sisters, but here are a couple verses in English:

Rock of ages, cleft for me,
let me hide myself in thee;
let the water and the blood,
from thy wounded side which flowed,
be of sin the double cure,
save from wrath and make me pure.

Nothing in my hand I bring
Simply to your Cross I cling;
Naked, come to you for dress;
Helpless, look to you for grace;
Fout, I to the fountain fly;
Wahs me, Savior, or I die.

4 comments:

Sandy said...

Timeless and beautiful!

Amy Brown said...

I remember that hymn and I love old hymns. It reminds me of sitting next to my Grandam in church.

Beth said...

I love this hymn. It has been a while since I have sung its words. Thank you for the post!

Jennifer said...

This hymn always finds it's way into my brain, and is one of my favorites to hum while I work. Lovely choice!