Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Words, they're only words. But are they? Two weeks ago I read this poem and it was great, but then, it hit home this past week. A friend said to me, "Remember the kind words you shared when I was so sick?" Of course I didn't! But he did and those words will go with him for a long time, meaningful, helpful, uplifting. But the following poem is my prayer - for me, for all of us.


I spoke
Words fell
Aimlessly on ears.
Later
One said,
"Your word--
It helped
That day."

I turned
Wondering--
Forgot I said
That word.
Let me speak
Those words
Often.

Helpful words
That I forget.

--Jim Elliot in "The Journals of Jim Elliot

1 comment:

Beth said...

Thank you Beth for this reminder. The power of words to cut down or to evoke healing within a hurting friend or stranger. I used to scribble Jim Elliot quotes on my hand while sitting in various missionary classes at Moody (I also had your kind husband). Nice to return to Elliot once again. I think my favorite was "He is no fool to lose what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Have a blessed day.