Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A Special Prayer

Each day I notice little things, tiny things, big things that remind me I'm not getting any younger. Who of us is, anyway?? My grandson (I won't mention any names here!) has remarked a couple times, "Grandma, your hand is shaking!" Yes, it is. My left hand shakes at times, but I'm used to it - in fact, I don't even notice it sometimes! But that's OK. I can still do what I do, even with that shaky appendage! And it doesn't bother me, so don't let it bother you!! I found a poem that states just how I feel! I believe the author was speaking tongue-in-cheek part of the time, and sometimes that's just how I feel! So, here goes!

Prayer for the Middle-Aged
By a 17th Century Nun

Lord, Thou knowest better that I know myself that I am growing old.
Keep me from the fatal habit of thinking I must say something on every subject
and on every occasion.
Release me from craving to straighten out everybody's affairs.
Make me thoughtful but not moody, helpful but not bossy.
With my vast store of wisdom it seems a pity not to use it all,
but Thou knowest, Lord, that I want a few friends at the end.
Keep my mind free from the recital of endless details;
give me wings to get to the point.

Seal my lips on my aches and pains.
They are increasing, and love of rehearsing them is
becoming sweeter as the years go by.
I dare not ask for grace enough to enjoy the tales of others' pains,
but help me to endure them with patience.
I dare not ask for improved memory,
but for a growing humility and a lessening cocksureness when
my memory seems to clash with the memories of others.
Teach me the glorious lesson that occasionally I may be mistaken.
Keep me reasonably sweet.
I do not want to be a saint ---
some of them are so hard to live with ---
but a sour old person is one of the crowning works of the devil.
Give me the ability to see good things in unexpected places
and talents in unexpected people.
Give me the grace to tell them so.
Amen.

And I only add,
Amen and Amen!





5 comments:

Beth said...

A heartfelt prayer pregnant with meaning for any one of any age.

Jennifer said...

As Beth said, any age! I love this, as I always do your choices. Thank you for blessing us with it!

Molly Sabourin said...

A wonderful poem, indeed! I truly enjoyed that! Thank you.

Kris Livovich said...

I can't imagine you being a sour old person.

Beth Hanna said...

Thank you. I hope it never happens!