Monday, February 2, 2009

Dia de la Candelaria - Candlemas

I knew something unusual was happening when I noticed dozens of people carrying El Niño Dios (the Christ child) toward the Parroquia (the cathedral downtown). Oh yes! It's February 2nd, Dia de la Candelaria, or Candlemas in English. Here in Mexico it is a follow up of the Day of the Kings (January 6th), when children receive gifts and families and friends eat the Rosca de Reyes together. Anyone receiving a figurine is supposed to host the party on Candlemas Day. Tamales are of course the food of choice and atole, a thick pudding-like hot drink, the drink of choice!

Another custom, which I observed this morning, is for families to own an image of the Christ child, a Niño Dios. On this day the child is dressed in fine clothes and presented to the church for a blessing. I also saw a man carrying a cross, almost as tall as he was, with the crucified Jesus, I assume to be blessed as well. I read of one priest who claims that this custom dates back to Leviticus where the Jewish parents are told to present their boy child at the temple 40 days after his birth. Each year people dress their Chirist child in new and elaborate clothes and often they will carry them in elaborately decorated Moses baskets. I caught some pictures and honest! I tried to be discreet, I didn't want to offend anyone!






I

No comments: