Monday, February 2, 2009

Something new everyday

You'd think after living in Mexico for so many years, I'd know all there is to know. Are you kidding??? I'm just beginning. Sorry, I don't want to discourage you newcomers! But Ken always used to say, "Three Spanish lessons, and thirty years practice and you'll know Spanish!" More than thirty years and I'm still learning LOTS!

Today I accompanied my coworker Ivonne, her children Rosy and Julio, her granddaughter Vanessa and intern Sarah to Bernal. I learned so much! And I ate and drank some yummy stuff I've never tried before! At lunch Julio asked me if I wanted a "jarrito" (a little mug). Sure, I said. He brought a clay pot filled with - something! It was grapefruit pop, chile pikin, lemon juice and orange juice. Along the edge of the mug was chile pikin and salt. And you know what? It was delicious! I of course brought the mug home with me!


And what are nopales penques?? Never heard of them. They are HUGE and I mean HUGE nopales - cactus - grilled, cut up and served on a homemade tostada. Rosy let me try hers - WOW! Was it good! I should have ordered one, but was already full from the two gorditas I'd eaten. And WOW! Were they good! Sarah ordered one though - and enjoyed it! She needed all the nourishment she could get after that vigorous climb up the Peña de Bernal! What a fun day!

There it is, the Peña de Bernal. It's quite impressive up close!

The cactus growing out of the wall made for an interesting shot! And with Bernal in the background? Perfect!

No comments: