Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Good News in Every Language



What a great book I just read about a great man, used incredibly by our great God!

Cameron Townsend (known in Latin America as Don Guillermo) started out with CAM International, but soon went on to start his own mission, now known as Wycliffe Bible Translators, and also started SIL (Summer Institute of Linguistics) and JAARS - Wycliffe´s branch for flying - I don´t know what the letters stand for!)

What a fascinating life Cameron had! And what made it even more interesting to me was that so many of the places, things and people are places, things and people I know! He and his first wife Elvira started out their translation ministry in Tetelcingo, a town where I spent many many happy occasions when I was a child! Wow! What fond memories! It spoke of Tamazunchale, another town my family and I visited on our way to and from the U.S. I loved that town! One of the first students in his summer jungle camp (where they trained recruits to live in the jungle) was Ed Sywulka, long time friend and colleague with me in CAM International! Of course all his mention of places in Mexico City were very familiar to me! And yes, I even knew him and his second wife Elaine, who also was an amazing lady!

Another neat thing: I have a grandson named Cameron who was named after Cameron Townsend! Cameron, you need to read this book! Or maybe you already have!

The key sentence in the entire book is: "Many people told him it (one of his many plans) was an impossible dream, but the word impossible was not in CAM´s vocabulary." And see what he accomplished for the Lord - and his work goes on, even though he left and went to heaven on April 23, 1982 at age 85.

Now I´ll be passing this book on to my granddaughter Elia. So if you can´t find it anywhere, just go visit Elia and maybe she´ll let you borrow it - if you promise to bring it back soon!

No comments: