Monday, April 4, 2011

Reading and Viewing Report

Sometimes we get too busy to report. If I were in school, I'd probably get a poor grade for being late. But, thankfully, I'm not in school!

I just finished one book, but finished another one a few days ago. It's been setting on my desk waiting to be reported on, 'cause it was a fabulous book, and I gotta tell you about it!

Cold Sassy Tree almost didn't get read - by me, that is. It's an old copy and has obviously be read many times by many others. But I'm glad I read it! Wow! I loved it!

It's "rich with emotion, humor and tenderness...a novel about an old man growing young, a young man growing up, and the modern age coming to a small southern town." It starts out with a huge bang:

"Three weeks after Granny Blakeslee died, Grandpa came to our house for his early morning snort of whiskey, as usual, and said to me, 'Will Tweedy? Go find yore mama, then run up to yore Aunt Loma's and tell her I said git on down here. I got something to say. And I ain't a-go'n say it but once't.' 'Yessir.' 'Make haste, son. I got to git on to the store.'

Mama made me wait till she pinned the black mourning band for Granny on my shirt sleeve. Then I was off. Any time Grandpa had something to say, it was something you couldn't wait to hear."

And it had me from there on! What a great story! Check it out! And if you're wondering where in the world the title "Cold Sassy Tree" might have come from, you'll have to wait til page 291 to find out!


Then there's Jacob's List, which was a tearjerker. Whew! "Jacob Nolan is a bright, talented college student with a bold list of things he hopes to accomplish before he 'settles down.' Although he is unaware of any family problems, he is possibly the only reason his parents are still together.

And then the Nolans face the most difficult challenge of their lives. They come to the realization that Jacob's list is about a lot more than youthful adventure. Will their son's list help them find each other again?"

The author claims it was one of the hardest books she ever wrote. I can understand that, and you will to, when you read it!

Oh, wait, there's a viewing to be reported on as well!




This is quite an old film (if you consider 1985 OLD!!). This is the tale of an elderly woman's journey home. The Trip to Bountiful stars Geraldine Page in "the performance of a lifetime" - and a role that won her an Academy Award.

But keep your Kleenex nearby, cause you'll definitely need them!

No comments: