Sunday, August 16, 2009

Tuna drink


We call them "tunas." That's not to be confused with the tuna fish! It's a fruit - I guess you "gringos" would call it prickly pear fruit! It grows on the nopal cactus.



There are red tunas, orange tunas and green tunas, which, in our area are the most common. I've seen the red ones, but they're so tiny, I just pass them up. But the other day I bought 2 kilos of green tunas for just 12 pesos (less than a dollar). So, now, what do I DO with all these tunas??? I ate some of them. To eat, you must peel first, but CAREFUL, they're full of prickers! It's best to touch them with a towel, rag or anything to protect your fingers! Those prickers are hard to get rid of (I tell you from experience!). Once peeled, they're luscious. OK, OK, so they're a little tough to eat, cause they're completely filled with seeds, but still delicious and very juicy! But there are still lots left. So.....








I made a delicious drink! Very refreshing, so sweet, you hardly need to add sugar. Just pop the tunas in the blender (after peeling them, of course!), blend with water, add more water and just a tad of sugar. Delicious!




I know that when Alan, Beth and the boys return from the States, we won't be having this drink at a meal anytime soon, so I have to enjoy it now! But notice the cool mug!! It's blown glass and has these cool chiles on the side - fun to drink anything, be it tuna or lemonade from this mug!

No comments: