Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Independence Day 2009


Tonight we celebrated the 15th of September - Independence Day here in Mexico. It's really the 16th, but we celebrate the night of the 15th, because that's when the shout of independence was given - at midnight. Here's Ivonne and her daughter Gaby. They at least wore green, white and red! Not many people dressed up - I was the MOST dressed up of the adults! It was fun wearing my new huipil (wee peel) from Yucatan and the beautiful shawl I bought to go with it! Mary told me I should wear that dress more often!



Linda came dressed in a beautiful outfit that had ribbon embroidery on it - some of her fine work. She's very talented! She brought along her granddaughter Dana, all dressed up! She's a real cutie, but it's obvious she doesn't go to church much - she talked a lot during the service!






In years past we've had games, contests, just plain fun, but this year we just had a service and food afterwards! Very different! Some of us weren't super happy about that!

While we were eating we did sing Happy Birthday to Julio Cesar (in the dark shirt). He's a super sweet young man who is growing leaps and bounds in the Lord.




And while we ate, there was lots of fellowshiping going on. Here's Ivonne with grandson Joel, Tina, Linda and me.






Ivonne and me with our "typical" outfits! Ivonne's shawl is actually from India and is very beautiful. Friend Mundy from Yucatan sent me the huipil that I'm wearing. Ladies in Yucatan wear huipiles everyday - it's very hot there. VERY HOT! Huipil and hammock country!

No comments: