Wednesday, December 2, 2009

IN LIGHT OF THE 23rd

My friend Betty Henry Taylor has written many poems. In fact, she has published a book of poems! It's called Opening up Closets and Dumping out Drawers! It's wonderful! If you're interesting in purchasing a copy, just let me know and I'll contact Betty!! Here's a beautiful poem she wrote in "answer" to the 23rd Psalm:

O, Lord, I want not
to want for anything.
Because You are my Shepherd,
I want to lie down
in green pastures--
not casting wistful glance
across the fence.

I want to drink
from still waters--
not desiring
rushing streams.
I want my soul
to be restored--
and not languish
in emotional quagmire.

I want to walk in
paths of righteousness--
because I bear Your name.

I am willing to walk
through the valley
of the shadow--
because You never
leave me nor forsake me.
The comfort of
Your rod and staff endures.

My enemies . . .
who are they?
Loneliness.
Self-pity.
Longing for affection
not assigned to me.

I will feast on the banquet
You have prepared for me
in their midst.
And glory in Your
faithful, steadfast provision.

Your anointing with
the oil of gladness
shall be my portion.
From the overflow of my cup
others shall receive
refreshment.

I shall be well aware of
Your Goodness and Mercy
as they follow me
all the way Home!

Whom have I in heaven but Thee?
And there is none on earth
that I desire
besides Thee.

Psalm 73:25








2 comments:

Kris Livovich said...

What a beautiful treatment of the 23rd Psalm!

thanks, Mom.

Beth Hanna said...

I agree! I love Betty's poetry!