Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Once I held a treasure

I held a treasure in my
hand, it came I knew
not how. Could not
believe I'd been so blest
to see it gleaming there;
did nothing to deserve it
nor had I dreamt its
coming. I marveled at
its presence and
wept to think 'twas
mine. Alas, there comes
a day when it is
asked of me to willingly
release it. The Master
of my life stands waiting
patiently. . .Shall I
clasp this treasure to
my breast? Argue that I
want it and the joy
that it affords? How
can my soul endure
the loss of this, my
precious trove? When at
last I deign to yield
it, must He pry my fingers
free? Have I not the
pow'r to loose it, as it
was giv'n to me? Do I not
know the Giver excels
the grandest gift?

By my dear friend Betty Henry Taylor

2 comments:

Molly Sabourin said...

Thanks for sharing this! It's beautiful.

Kris Livovich said...

She writes great poems. Thank you for sharing it. I'm so glad you're doing Poetry Wed with me.
Love you.