Sunday, January 17, 2010

Carmen

My siblings and I have a beloved Mexican sister named Carmen. She came to live with our family in Mexico City when I was just 5 years old. And she's been our "adopted" sister ever since! She studied primary school, then high school, then nurses training and was one of Mexico's best nurses - and still is, even though she's retired! I love her dearly and spent a few hours with her yesterday and this morning. But this wasn't the same lively, happy, cheerful, beautiful Carmen that I remember. She's in the hospital in Mexico City, very ill with liver failure. My heart hurt when I first saw her yesterday. She's suffering so much, as we all are. Her sister Eliud (Eli), Eli's two daughters Natalia and Velva (Beba) were there, as well as her son Felix, a niece Yolanda, her daughter Gudelia, and Carmen's nephew Rafael. We're all hurting together. We pray that Carmen will heal, but we're also praying the prayer that never fails: "May your will be done." Will you pray with us?




Carmen, Felix and me a few years ago at the occasion of a happy birthday party for my grandson Cameron.



Carmen, Felix and me just yesterday, a difficult place to be.

3 comments:

Baxter Family said...

I didn't know.....If you talk to Felix please tell him that we are praying for them all!!! I just sat here and sobbed, If you see Carmen again please squize her hand for me and tell her that I love her and that we will see each other someday again.

Baxter Family said...

I didn't know!!!! Please tell Felix that we are praying for everyone! Also if you see Carmen again give her hand a squize and tell her how much I love her! I'm sitting here sobbing. Love you Aunt Beth.

Sarita in Mexico 2009 said...

Hi Beth,

I'm so sorry to hear about Carmen. I know she was a dear friend and sister to you...I'm praying for your continued comfort...Saludos.

Sarah