Wednesday, January 27, 2010

My daughters

My dear friend Betty Taylor sent this to me a couple weeks ago. It is written to fathers, but I have applied it to us mothers too. And especially to me. I know I fall short in so many ways, but since it IS a prayer, this is my prayer for me - and for you.


Every year about this time I receive a phone call from Dr. Spencer Tilley, asking me to write a bit of poetry to go on a bookmark. He oversees a Father/Daughter Dance for Westover dads and daughters. It is a time for fathers to arrange a "date" with their daughters and spend a very special evening with them. Spencer got the idea--at least eight years ago--to have a bookmark printed and laminated for each father, as a reminder to pray for his daughter each day. I have just e-mailed this to him:

Father, I thank You for

my daughter.

I pray that You will enrich

my spiritual energy

to nurture her

in all the ways You have designed.

Please remind me daily

what a treasure she is!

Show me how

to encourage

her heart to become

all You have

in Your heart

for her to become.

I am blessed

to be her father (mother).

I desire to be faithful

always to You

and to my daughter.


©2010 by betty henry taylor

1 comment:

Kris Livovich said...

What a neat momento from a dance! A very good one, and I'm sure will be well used.

Mom, your link did not work this week. Are you copy and pasting the link in?