Wednesday, January 6, 2010

In Case the Pictures Don't Come Out

First, imagine a woman - she could be the mama or the grandma or even the abuela - sitting under a tree watching, watching a small child having a WONDERFUL day....

In case the pictures don't come out,
It was a perfect day.
You wore the big red rubber boots
When we went out to play.
You plucked a long worm from the dirt
And held it in your hand.
You buried seven magic rocks
Forever in the sand.
You spun until you spun too fast
And stared up at the sky.
You called to beetles, birds, and planes,
And spread your wings to fly.
You gave me gifts of violets
With your sweet, crooked smile.
You studied spots on ladybugs
And hummed a song awhile.
You kissed me once, you kissed me twice,
And then you ran away.
In case the pictures don't come out,
It was a perfect day.

By Paula Lesso

3 comments:

Kris Livovich said...

made me cry a bit. I hope my kids and I remember those kinds of perfect days. The title is just right.

Amy Brown said...

I love this poem it makes me think of all those sweet moments with children and all those moments I miss because I am distracted. Thank you for sharing.

Jennifer said...

I think I'll print this one, frame it, and stick up in the little one's room. Such a beautiful poem. Thank you for sharing.