Tuesday, March 23, 2010

UNCLE WALTER

I realized after writing the last post, that I didn't write to you about the first funeral, just about the second one (Daniel Kendal) and the third one (Alfonso). My Uncle Walter suddenly died about three weeks ago. I was stunned. When in high school, my sister and I lived with Uncle Walt and Aunt Loretha and their three children in Des Moines, Iowa. They were like second parents to us, loving us, giving of their time and love to us. They definitely loved us unconditionally and were so giving.

My first memories of Uncle Walt were when I was 8. My family was in Des Moines (up from Mexico City) for my Aunt Lola's wedding to Uncle Nils (another beloved uncle!). A bunch of us kids were sitting on Grandpa and Grandma's swing on their front porch, surrounding a very much loved uncle - Uncle Walt. He was so much fun, always laughing, teasing a lot, loving us even more. How we loved him!

I wasn't around my relatives a lot growing up, because I lived in Mexico and most of them lived either in the U.S., Venezuela or China! But we kept in close touch, and when Uncle Walt and Aunt Loretha offered to house Elaine and me during high school, my parents jumped at the opportunity. And I'm so glad! What wonderful memories of two wonderful people!

My dad and his two brothers are now in heaven waiting for the rest of us to show up! I miss all of them, but treasure the time I had with them on this earth.

No comments: