Sunday, May 2, 2010

I Have Lived a Thousand Years


Another incredible and gut-wrenching book, written by Holocaust survivor, Livia Bitton-Jackson. She was 14 when she World War II ended, but, as she wrote, she had lived a thousand years. Just to quote one tiny part of the book:

'We didn't know anything. We had no idea. You must believe me. Did you have to work hard also?' 'Yes' I whisper. 'At your age, it must've been difficult.' At my age. What does she mean? 'We didn't get enough to eat. Because of starvation. Not because of my age.' 'I meant, it must have been harder for the older people.' For older people? 'How old do you think I am?' She looks at me uncertainly. 'Sixty? Sixty-two?' 'Sixty? I am fourteen. Fourteen years old.' She gives a little shriek and makes the sign of the cross. In horror and disbelief she walks away, and joins the crowd of German civilians near the station house. So this is liberation . It's come. I am fourteen years old, and I have lived a thousand years."

I don't know WHY I read books like this, but I just can't stay away from them. I love biography and autobiography. There are a bunch on my shelf right now, so excuse me, I gotta go find the next one to read....

No comments: