Friday, May 28, 2010

Childhood memories can be so fun

I have very few unhappy childhood memories. I know I'm very fortunate, because many of my friends had such unhappy, tragic childhoods. And Wednesday evening when Bethie, Joy and I were walking around Zona Rosa in Mexico City, some of those happy memories came bouncing back.

We were on the street called Niza. Hey! I remember that street. "Let's walk this way a bit." "Yes! There they are!!"




The Luau! A wonderful Chinese restaurant, very elegant!
We sometimes would go there when I was a kid and young person!
In fact, we ate there once with my parents when Ken and I were engaged!
And another time when we were expecting our first child!

What happy memories!



And there's the Chalet Suiso!
A fantastic Swiss restaurant!
We would eat there sometimes too!
Both of these restaurants were a bit pricey - at least for our budget,
so we didn't go often, but the memories stand out!
How fun to see these places again!

We should have eaten there!
But the Papa John's Pizza was luscious . . . .
and probably fit our budget better!

Then, as we were walking along, another memory popped into my mind...
There was a library somewhere in Zona Rosa
and ALL the books were in English!
I used to take the bus as a teen ager (yes, by myself!!)
to the Zona Rosa, spend hours in that library
and check out books to read.
How I loved that library!

One more memory of the Zona Rosa!
A candle shop!
A tiny candle shop, stuffed full of wonderful, exotic, aromatic,
unusual, sometimes weird, beautiful candles - any kind you could possibly imagine!
We didn't usually buy much, because they were EXPENSIVE
but we loved that little shop!
I doubt it's even around anymore,
and that's sad.

No comments: