Wednesday, August 4, 2010

A Smile

Sometimes while I'm walking to the Jornada Espiritual (Spiritual Journey) office for my work on the Obrerofiel web page, I see young ladies out sweeping front walks, or walking to their work as a maid, or whatever, and I always smile and say Buenos dias. At first they're a bit shocked, because "upper" class people (I'm UPPER CLASS????) don't usually even give the time of day to "lower class" (they're lower class????) people. Well, they don't know that for me there aren't classes, there are just people who need a smile.

One girl in particular now always smiles at me and tells me Buenos dias BEFORE I get a chance to! See what a smile can do? It made her day and it makes her day each time I see her. That's why I chose this poem - it makes my day.

This morning I saw my neighbor Estela and had a smile for her. PRAY that soon we can get together for "coffee" (tea or smoothie for me!) and to get better acquainted!

A SMILE
Author Unknown

A smile costs nothing, but gives much-

It takes but a moment, but the memory of it usually lasts forever.
None are so rich that can get along without it-
And none are so poor but that can be made rich by it.

It enriches those who receive, without making poor those who give-

It creates sunshine in the home,
And is the best antidote for trouble-
And yet it cannot be begged, borrowed, or stolen, for it is of no value
Unless it is given away.

Some people are too busy to give you a smile-
Give them one of yours-
For the good Lord knows that no one needs a smile so badly
As he or she who has no more smiles left to give.






1 comment:

Kris Livovich said...

Good reminder to smile, Mom. I know sometimes when I'm preoccupied with the kids or just thinking random thoughts while out in public I forget to smile. A smile is good for everyone. Especially young moms trying to corral all the kiddos!