Thursday, October 14, 2010

Why is it called Salt Water Taffy?

This past weekend at Ocean City, NJ, I couldn´t pass up the salt water taffy! Then, I asked myself, But WHY is it called salt water taffy? Do they use salt water to make it? Sounds like it MIGHT be logical, but is it? Ok, after buying some, here´s what the little brochure from Shriver´s said:

"Our most frequent question. It actually started in Atlantic City, New Jersey (we in Ocean City just made it better) with a man named Bradley. He had a taffy stand on the boardwalk back in the 1890´s and one night the ocean decided to pay his taffy stand a little visit. We don´t know how much damage was done, but it was enough to put Mr. Bradley in a bad mood the next morning. So when a little girl asked for some taffy he sarcastically called it "salt water taffy." Luckily for Mr. Bradley some female relations overheard his remark and recognized a catchy phrase when they heard one. Soon thereafter Mr. Bradley´s taffy became "Salt Water Taffy" and that is how it all began."

Interesting, huh? I´ll admit I bought taffy at another store and haven´t tasted Shriver´s, but I bet it GOOOOD! Jeff did buy some fudge there, and I really think it´s better and creamier than M...... No, I won´t go there!


Gotta give credit for this info:

SHRIVER´S
9th & Boardwalk, P.O. Box 899
Ocean City, N.J. 08226
609-399-0100
Toll Free: 1-877-MM-TAFFY
(668-2339)
Fax: 609-398-2075
www.SHRIVERS.com

There you go! Go for it! You won´t be sorry! I´m only sorry I didn´t buy more, cause what I did get it all gone!

No comments: