Wednesday, May 18, 2011

IN HEAVEN


I'm still thinking many thoughts and praying many prayers for my sister in law,
Becky, who just last week saw her husband, and my brother, Lee, go to heaven. So, when I saw this poem, I thought it was very apropos. We do miss Lee - I'm sure Becky misses him much more than the rest of us, but we're so glad he's in Jesus' presence now.


In heaven

by Stephen Crane

In heaven,
Some little blades of grass
Stood before God.
"What did you do?"
Then all save one of the little blades
Began eagerly to relate
The merits of their lives.
This one stayed a small way behind,
Ashamed.
Presently, God said,
"And what did you do?"
The little blade answered, "Oh my Lord,
Memory is bitter to me,
For, if I did good deeds,
I know not of them."
Then God, in all His splendor,
Arose from His throne.
"Oh, best little blade of grass!" He said.


My brother was a very humble, sweet, Kind man, who, just as the blade above in the poem, would say the same, I'm sure. He was not, of course, perfect, but knew that only by the grace of God he was what he was. How I thank God for every beautiful memory I have of Lee.






2 comments:

Kris Livovich said...

What a good poem! I think you relate it perfectly to Lee as well.

Mike and I were looking through the pictures on his memorial site and laughing at the two where Laurie is dangling from his thumbs and where he is holding a standing Laurie in one hand. Those were pictures from another era, that's for sure!

We are still praying for Becky. Love you.

Beth said...

Memory Eternal. My father too was a very quiet server of Christ. Didn't want a lot of attention, nor did he serve in positions which gave him much. But he was faithful and never complained- traits that I hope to emulate and thank God for in a father. I am sure you feel the same way about your brother.