Tuesday, May 10, 2011

A life well lived

My beloved brother Lee Alan Phillips, went to heaven this morning. He was 65. A missionary in Navojoa, Sonora, MEXICO, along with his wife Becky, he traveled to Tucson for a check up at the VA hospital and was immediately checked into a room. After many tests, it was found he suffered from Stage 4 Melanoma that had metastasized in his brain and spinal chord. He and Becky opted to go home, to the home of dear friends.

That was where I last saw him a week ago. He did not recognize his siblings, Elaine, Keith and me, but we did a lot of praying, singing and hugging the two days I was there. He went into a coma yesterday and died early this morning.

Lee was a fun brother, a wonderful husband to Becky, and Dad to Laurie, Nathan and Andrew. He and Becky served in Colombia for a few years, then moved to Navojoa, where they have lived for many, many years. I didn't see him often, but we did communicate and dearly loved one another.

When Ken and I lived in Guatemala, he visited us, and we also spent some time with him somewhere in the States (I don't remember where!) a couple times when he was in the Air Force. The last time I saw him was in Los Mochis, Sinaloa at the beautiful wedding of his daughter Laurie to Daniel Graff. He was certainly a proud papa that day!

We will all miss Lee. But he is now in the arms of Jesus and for that we're very grateful. I don't have many recent pictures, but here are a few of years gone by. I may add more later. But now I need to get packed up to head for Tucson for the funeral to be held Thursday at 1 PM.

Keith on left, Lee on right





Lee, Nathan, Laurie and Becky
Andrew came along a few years later






1 comment:

Beth said...

Beth I am so sorry for your loss. My father fell asleep in the Lord just a month and a half ago. Sorrow mixed with the joy that nothing can separate us from the love of Christ. My prayers are with you and your family during this time. And may Lee's memory be eternal.