Wednesday, September 28, 2011

THE PRECIOUS BIBLE

I'm trying something new and different this trip - I brought along an ENGLISH Bible rather than my trusty SPANISH one! And wow! It's weird to read those even weirder Bible names in ENGLISH rather than SPANISH! I'm reading in 1 Chronicles (or is it Crónicas) right now, so there are LOTS of names! I even found mine there in one of the lists!

This brought to mind a poem I found some time ago and I thought you might enjoy it as much as I did:


THE PRECIOUS BIBLE

Though the cover is worn

And the pages are torn,

And though places bear traces of tears;

Yet more precious than gold

Is the book worn and old,

That can shatter and scatter my fears.

When I prayerfully look

In the precious old book,

Many pleasures and treasures I see;

Many tokens of love

From the Father above,

Who is nearest and dearest to me.

The old book is my guide,

'Tis a Friend by my side,

It will lighten and brighten my way;

And each promise I find

Soothes and gladdens my mind,

As I read it and heed it each day.

from "The Poetry of Preaching" compiled by Dr. Clyde Box; Sword of the Lord publisher's







No comments: