Friday, September 16, 2011

¡¡VIVA MEXICO!! ¡¡VIVA!!



That is what is shouted (very literally!) at 11 PM or so on September 15th. The official Viva Mexico is shouted from the palace in downtown Mexico City, but it was heard at every party across Mexico celebrating our country's independence last night. Including our party at Abundant Life Bible Church! And what a fun party it was! Just a few pictures to let you in on the fun:

After a short service with praise songs and an excellent message given by Rene (see picture below of him with his wife Isa), we had: Crazy and fun games! The winner of the chile-eating contest downed 12! And there wasn't even a prize! Bummer!



The food! Wow! It was great! Here I caught Rene and Isa totally enjoying it!


The pambasos in front of Paul and Nacho were YUMMY! They are a bolillo (small loaf of bread) that has been dipped in a special sauce, then "fried", then filled with a potato/meat mixture, lettuce and sour cream! Delicious!! Very messy! Finger lickin' good!






The costumes were very creative! Here is Jose Maria Morelos y Pavon, Junior and Senior! Junior won a prize for his creative costume!

Four prizes for the most creative costumes were given to the children! My first choice was Angel, third from right, who came as Speedy Gonzalez! Other prizes went to Vania (see below!), Adaia on the left who came as a campesina and Jose Maria Morelos y Pavon who is in the middle!

I didn't stay for the women's costume judging because the guests I brought were getting extremely tired, so I took them home! I took Rosa and her twin granddaughters, age 6, to the party. They are not used to being in church, so were quite restless, but enjoyed the party - until 11 PM or so! Then they were DONE! I'm sure I would have won a prize! My costume was the same one I've worn the past two years - since it's the only one I own!! I came as a Yucateca - a gal from Yucatan! My friend Mundi Cab from Merida, Yucatan, sent me a lovely huipil from there, so I put it to use once a year at the "Quince!" Here's a snapshot of me with Ivonne taken a couple years ago!



1 comment: