Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Mentoring

I recently read a book on mentoring, and I can't even remember the name, but I jotted down two poems that were very meaningful - and yes, even a rebuke - to me. One is very short, but wow! It packs a wallop!

Come to the Edge
By Guillaume Apollianaise

"Come to the edge," he said.
They said, "We are afraid."
"Come to the edge," he said.
They came.
He pushed them and they flew.

On Sunday I am leading a Bible study on Insufficiency. Perfect for me, as I've felt that way for many years. But that's also a good thing! If I'm insufficient, look at how God can be glorified!

And here's another that was a rebuke to me.

An excerpt from "If"
by Amy Carmichael

If I belittle those whom I am called to serve,
talk of their weak points
in contrast perhaps to what I
think of as my strong points;
if I adopt a superior attitude,
forgetting, "Who made Thee to differ?"
And "What hast thou that thou hast not received?"
then I know nothing of Calvary love.

If in dealing with one who does not respond,
I weary of the strain, and slip
from under the burden
then I know nothing of Calvary love...

If I myself dominate myself,
if my thoughts revolve around myself,
if I am too occupied with myself I rarely have
"a heart at leisure from itself,"
then I know nothing of Calvary love.

Amy Carmichael, IF
(Christian Literature Crusade, 1992)





2 comments:

Kris Livovich said...

I always like Amy Carmichael. This is a good poem.

Beth said...

Beth these are beautiful. I can especially resonate with your first offering and thank God for His goodness of giving me so many pushes throughout my journey. And of course, love Amy Carmichael. Thank you.