Sunday, June 20, 2010

Baptisms and a Picnic

Baptisms at our church are always so much fun. Because they're also a BIG PICNIC! We headed for the swimming pool this morning, which is out in the middle of cornfields. The runoff is used for watering the crops, but the pool is kept beautifully clean and in recent months they've planted grass and made it much nicer than it used to be. We set up chairs and first had our Sunday morning service. Then two young ladies were baptized. And then, it was time to swim! There is a smaller pool where the little ones can safely swim and the older kids and adults headed for the large pool.

Before leaving home, Dayton informed me that he wasn't going to swim! Well, I didn't believe it, so took along his swimming suit and towel anyway. Well, as soon as he saw that beautiful pool, he said, "I'm ready to swim now!" Good thing Grandmas don't always believe grandkids! He had an absolute blast, as did Cameron.




Preparing the meat to grill. "Steaks" here are very thin pieces of meat, prepared with garlic salt, onion salt, Maggi and lots of lemon (actually limes). They marinate awhile in this mixture, and are grilled. Nothing like a U.S. big fat juice steak, but luscious just the same. Accompanied with beans, rice, salsa, guacamole - delicious!

BTW, we did also have a larger grill than the one seen here! And I think we overdid it - after the meal, there was at least half of that cooler still full of meat!



Laura was nervous about getting baptized, but thrilled at the same time!



The pool is beautiful and to make it even nicer, it's WARM water! I didn't get in this time, but next time I'm going to!

Normally the ladies here don't swim, so that's why I usually don't either, but today a couple of them, so next time I'm gonna join them!





I didn't take near the pictures I should have and forgot to take one of the food table (this is the "preparation" table). But I did catch Laura, Francisco holding Joel and Gaby catching a bite to eat. Francisco and Gaby, who had planned on just two kids (Vanessa and Joel) are now pregnant with Baby #3! Yay!

No comments: