Tuesday, June 15, 2010

I Love Sumer -- Except...

I love fun poems! And lately I've found some really fun ones! I don't do serious well, nor hidden-meanings. The meaning has to be right out there for all of us to see - and laugh about of course! So, here's the first of several FUN POEMS, some by authors unknown, but a few by young, new talented, and did I say YOUNG authors!

I Love Summer--Except...
By Janice Kuharski

I love all the fun
that summertime brings--
excepting, of course
just one or two things:
Except for the ticks
and spiders and bees.
Except for the pollen
from grasses and trees.
Except for the sunburn
and rashes from heat,
and sidewalks so hot
they burn up your feet.
Except for sour grapes
and melons with seeds,
and slithery snakes
that hide in the weeds.

Except for mosquitoes
that suck on your skin,
and all of the flies
that let themselves in.
Except for the warm nights
when I sleep in a cot.
Except for the weather
that's humid and hot.
Except for the smog,
the dust, and the grime...

But other than that,
I love summertime.





2 comments:

Jenny said...

Oh my goodness! This poem made me laugh out loud. I am struggling with those flies who let themselves in, and the roads the burn up my feet. And all sorts of other small irritations. But mostly, summer is grand, and I am so glad that your birthday was lovely and full of flowers and love and ice cream.

Kris Livovich said...

I agree! Mosquitoes are my big exception for summer. I wish we could put a big bubble over our yard, or a giant net. Do they make those?