Monday, December 20, 2010

The Incomparable King

This past Wednesday through Sunday I was in Puebla. I first took a bus to the Mexico City airport, where I met three musicians from the States who came down to play in the orchestra for the Coro Unido (United Choir). We all then headed to Puebla and the fun began.

My role was to assist Grace Becker in feeding the 9 musicians from Michigan, North Carolina and other places (I forget where!) who had given of their time and talents to become a part of the Coro Unido. For some of them, this is their fifth time to come - they love doing it!

Terry Vanderwerf is the director of this amazing choir as well as the entire production of The Incomparable King, but he couldn't do it without hundreds of people who are behind him helping in too many ways to count! It is a truly amazing production, giving the Gospel story from beginning to end and I was privileged to be a small part of it!

The pictures don't even begin to show how incredible it was! The fantastic orchestra and over 250 voices were simply amazing. I went to both performances and could have gone to three more, if there had BEEN three more, and enjoyed it just as much!




The 76 voice children's choir were amazing!






It was a very moving moment when the kings came in, along with all their "entourage". I understand that the lady who made the outfits had a lot of fun doing it, and made them incredibly ornate - as you can see!




During the scene of Jesus, Mary and Joseph as a tiny baby, the tiny baby was just two weeks old! It brought tears to many eyes as we listened to Joseph sing his version of what it must have been like to be Joseph!

When the kings arrived to worship, the baby was a little child! He behaved beautifully and as the kings presented their gifts, he held out his arms as if to receive them! It was a very touching scene! (I don't think his reaction was rehearsed!)

I asked Terry if he was going to bring the Coro Unido to our area next year, and he just groaned! It will be at least two years before this wonderful event happens again. But God was glorified through it - many are coming to know Jesus as their Savior through the beautiful music, the narration, the testimonies, and the short message given by our beloved Rene Zapata.

Next time they perform, I invite you to come! I'll even pay your ticket - to the concert, not your plane ticket!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

thanks, Beth! Loved hearing about Coro - and thank you for your work, too! I so wanted to be there. thanks for letting me 'see' it!!! Merry Christmas to you!