Monday, December 13, 2010

MAKING A POINT ON POETRY WEDNESDAY


I was going to put up a Christmas poem, but this one caught my eye and I couldn't resist! I've been going through dozens of Quick Cooking Magazines that a friend who went to live in the States left here at my house! They have some fun stuff, but mostly it's cooking we can't do here in Mexico (you know, "Use refrigerated crescent rolls" (what are THOSE???), "Ground turkey" (what???), "instant pudding" (INSTANT?? pudding?), "1 can lemon pie filling" (I wish!), etc. Cooking isn't quite as fast here as in the U.S. but the following poem definitely got my vote! Not that I do much cooking around our house!! That's usually Bethie's job - except when she twists her knee playing with the kids, which she managed to do a couple weeks ago - me, Doña Meche, and the roasted chicken place down the street have produced some great meals at our house lately!

Anyway, here´s my great poem! Maybe some of you could use it on your spouse!

Making a Point

By Ruth Lawhorn

After a hectic day of grocery shopping and cooking, Ruth Lawhorn of Knoxville, TN says, “I wrote this poem and taped it to the refrigerator, where my husband Carl, was sure to see it.”


I´m in the kitchen every day

as I have been for years.

Early morning, noon and night,

cooking for my dear.

I mince and chop and peel and pare,

I boil and stew and fry with care.

Sauté and roast and make a cake,

I whip and beat before I bake.

Now I’m getting old and weary,

and tired of standing on my feet.

Why doesn’t my dear husband

ever take me out to eat?

I soon found my note replaced with this message:

My poor wife is all put out,

and that’s what this poem’s all about.

She doesn’t want to cook anymore,

and says it’s not what she lives here for.

In my fashion, I try to help some,

she knows that Mars is where I come from.

Cooking and cleaning are no easy task,

but if she wants to eat out, why doesn’t she ask?

Since the two have been married for more than 56 years, we’ll let you guess if they went out for dinner!





1 comment:

Kris Livovich said...

They'd better go out to eat! Very cute.