Tuesday, December 21, 2010

When I Was a Boy

No, this isn't about me! It's about David Trumble! I just read the book When I was a Boy, and found it fascinating! David, who could not read or write, dictated the book to the author, telling of his life as a "young" man. It was written in 1976 and he was 103 (or thereabouts!) when it was written! So, I'm guessing he isn't around anymore!

I will copy some of his musings, for your interest and amusement!!

"There were thirteen children
in the family,
thirteen of us.
There was Bill
Sam
Dan
Ernest
me
Harry
and George,
that's seven.
May
Lizzie
Bessie
Annie
Myrtle
and Hazel,
that's six.

We were quite a while
before we could ever be
like people ought to be -
we were like little devils.
There were a lot of us
- thirteen of us.
It took a lot to feed us."

"When I was young
I used to jump through a broomstick.
And I could leapfrog;
I used to be an awful boy to leapfrog,
jump just as far as anybody on my hands and knees,
and I could kick my hat off
or do a somersault into the air.
Kick -
then come right back down
and land on my feet.
And I could jump fences.
Now I can't step over my own feet
without falling down."

"I was up in Eskimo country once
and all the candies -
the kids in Eskimo country don't get candies -
they take a bone
a hollow bone
and fill it full of seal grease.
When the baby gets crying
they'll give the bone to the baby
to suck on.

They do that for candy;
that's candy for a kid."

This one should bring back some memories to the Hanna bunch:

"They used to hire me
to witch wells.

I used to take the crotch of a willow
and point that to the ground.
It'd lead me to water every time.

Same thing with metals.
I can take a steel rod
and tell you where there's mineral;
or a compass -
a compass will just spin round and round."

I saw my brother in law (I won't say "witch" one!) witch for water! And you know, he never missed!!

This one is one of my favorites:

"I was on the Harlow Road one time, going to the back of Weslemkoon. I was working into a mill at that time. At quitting time I came out with another fella and I had everything on my back and my coat on my arm. He went around with his horse and I cut across country through the woods past the mill.
I came up to an old bush shanty and I was a big bear. There was a wagon road nearby and a bridge, so I said, "I'll hurry up and get down to that bridge and I'll give that bear a scare."
I ran down to the bridge and she was coming right on till I was as close to her as I am to you and I said,"Where you going?"
"Agh!" she said, and she spit right in my face.
So I said, "Hold on, old girl, that's too much."
I throwed my coat down and I hit her a swat but she come again and when she come again I hauled off just all that was into me and I just jumped and I drove her on the nose, hard as I could. She stood there holding on to her nose. I fought that bear, and she with her mouth wide open. I drove her so hard I made her toenails jingle. I just knocked her cold - with that hand. That knocked that thumb out of place when I hit her.
I hit her so hard I drove her till there was no name for her.
She took all back that she said.
That's true. If it isn't true, where are you going to find a witness?"


If you wanna borrow this book, just holler! It was definitely FUN READING!

No comments: