Saturday, February 26, 2011

And suddenly it's summer

It happens every year. You think I'd get used to it! Actually, it isn't hard to get used to!

When I was a kid, I had no idea what seasons were. Where I lived, sometimes it rained, other times it was dry, sometimes it was cooler than other times, but seasons??? In school one day we were given the task of writing an essay on "Primavera." (Springtime) Well, I had no clue. Since our book showed a picture of a lovely garden, I wrote about a lovely garden! I don't recall if I got any kind of passing grade on that assignment. It wasn't until high school when I totally understood what "seasons" were. Living in Iowa with Uncle Walt and Aunt Loretha, I experienced hateful, cold, snowy, icy winters, beautiful spring flowers and green grass, and fantastic fall weather. (I spent summers in Mexico with my family.) THEN I understood "seasons"! So THAT'S what "primavera" is!

A week ago I was wearing a jacket to the office, and "wore" a blanket over my knees to keep warm (our office is COLD in the winter - but of course very pleasant in the summer!). Yesterday I wore a 3/4 sleeve cotton blouse and jeans and was pleasantly warm! Yes!

This morning I took my car to the mechanic to see if he can fix my windshield wipers that have given me problems since I bought a new set (go figure). I then started the walk home: First stop stop was a humble little home where they sell fresh squeezed orange juice. Second stop, a cart selling tamales! Breakfast as I walked! A couple more errands, and I headed home to await the call from the mechanic.

But then I HAD to go into Modatelas, our local material shop. What great cottons they have for summer! Anyone need material for cute little outfits? AND they have the material with smocking for darling sundresses! And NO, I didn't buy any! Just enjoyed looking!

I had to carry my sweater all the way home. Why I even took it, I'm not sure! They call it "Primavera", but it's really summer weather here! Wonderful!

No comments: