Wednesday, February 9, 2011

WALKWAY



You'd think I'd get used to waiting, waiting, waiting at airports. You'd think I'd get used to the security checks - which I sometimes go through twice on ONE trip. You'd think I'd get used to the LOOOOOONG line when I return to Mexico - why do so many "foreigners" come to Mexico? You'd think. I guess I do get used to it! At least I always make sure I have a good book or magazine along! I usually save my Christianity Today magazines for three months, so I'll have something interesting to read - something I don't have to drag home!

This poem caught my eye, cause I could have written it - if I were a poet, that is! I loved it! I'm sure it has a hidden meaning, but I'm not smart enough to figure out what that is! I just enjoyed the poem!


WALKWAY

Reprinted from Harvesting Fog, Copyright Luci Shaw 2010, Pinyon Publishing.

Used by permission of the author.

My plane delayed, I wait the call to board –

a hiatus in the continuum, a lesson in patience,

the airport window at the gate like an eye

framing the almost soundless waves

of aircraft arriving, taking off.

The interior rhythm of the moving walkway –

a steel river; a continuous slither of hum,

interrupted every few seconds by

the announcement. The walkway is ending.

Please watch your step. Thank you.

Someone

is always being thanked by a machine

for not falling. Longing for a thank-you

to ease the bruises, I am carried along my corridor

toward a stumble onto the sill of heaven.



3 comments:

Beth said...

I like this poem a lot especially that fact that one is constantly being thanked by machines for not falling and countless other things.

Kris Livovich said...

man, I like Lucy Shaw. Every poem of hers that you have posted has been good!

Beth Hanna said...

I'll give you her book next time I see you.