Thursday, February 3, 2011

The BEST of breakfasts


This morning I headed over to Sams, but had a couple stops to make first.

1. I stopped to get a tamale wrapped in a bolillo (a hard roll). When the young man saw me he asked, "Do you want a rajas con queso tamale?" (That's chile poblano slices with cheese) How did he know that's what I ALWAYS get? Because that's what I always get, I guess! And I've stopped at his little cart several times already!

BTW, if you think tamales are dry, it's because you haven't had them with LOTS of lard in them! I've had those dry ones too - they're probably better for you, but a really good tamale has a lot of lard in it - a lot! That, after all, is what makes it moist and delicious! Along with the rajas and cheese of course.

2. A stop at the juice stand. Not fancy, just a husband and wife team making fresh, fresh juices. Choices are beet, carrot, orange and beet, orange and carrot, and my favorite: green juice, made up of orange juice, celery, nopal and parsley. Sounds yummy, huh? Well, it is!

After those two stops, I was ready for anything! When I got home Bethie asked me if I wanted a pancake. A pancake??? No thanks. I just had the BEST breakfast around!

Well, OK, there are other wonderful breakfasts too:

Chilaquiles Enchiladas verdes enchiladas rojas

taquitos enchiladas with mole huevos a la mexicana

huevos rancheros huevos divorciados huevos con mole


I could go on and on! I'm getting hungry and it isn't even time for breakfast yet!

You come join me next time. And hurry, because I have a hard time getting past that young man's tamale cart without getting something!

No wonder I'm not losing weight these days.

No comments: