Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Me a Worthless Coyote

Ok, this isn't the world's greatest poet or poetry, but it made me grin and I just had to share it.

My 9 year old grandson Dayton is now reading Hank the Cowdog books, and of course I'm willing to read them too. So far I've read one, and another is on my list - after I finish my present book called Miel en la boca del leon (I'll write you about that one later!!).

Guts, glory, danger, and sacrifice are all in a day’s work for Hank the Cowdog, Head of Ranch Security. USA calls this book “The best family entertainment in years.” (I might add, for a nine-year old, that is!

Well, one of the chapters in this crazy book was about our hero joining the coyotes and of course he had to learn their "song." And here it is.

Me a Worthless Coyote

From the book The Original Adventures of Hank the Cowdog

By John R. Erickson

“Me just a worthless coyote, me howling at the moon.

Me like to sing and holler, me crazy as a loon.

Me not want job or duties, no church or Sunday school.

Me just a worthless coyote . . .” and I don’t remember the

Last part, only it rhymed with “school”. Pool or drool,

something like that.

That end of the poem was written by the author, not me! Honest! Like I said, it's a crazy, funny book, full of stuff like that, just the thing a nine-year old cracks up about!


2 comments:

Kris Livovich said...

That's not a coyote song, that's a Dayton song!

The pictures of Laurie and family were nice. Her little ones are super sweet!

Beth Hanna said...

I just finished the second book The Further Adventures of Hank the Cowdog. Amazingly corny - and it even had some more poetry, but I won't hurt you with it! The book is RIGHT at Dayton's level!